The 14 Best Opinion Essay Topics For High School Students
An opinion essay takes an in-depth look at the opinion of a writer regarding a specific topic. It is supported by examples and facts, but it can be written with the use of the writer's opinion alone as long as compelling arguments are used. The accepted format is a five-paragraph paper that includes the introductory paragraph which contains the thesis statement, three supporting paragraphs, and a concluding paragraph that strongly and effectively brings all of the arguments together.
Since it can be difficult to decide upon a topic, especially if you were given no direction by the teacher, here is a list of the 14 best topics for you to choose from:
- Parents are the best teachers. Do you agree or disagree?
- Learning comes in many forms -- not all of which require books. What is the best source to gain knowledge?
- Success is made by hard work, not luck. Do you agree or disagree?
- How is the behavior of people influenced by television and film?
- Do you prefer to learn on your own, or does a teacher help to keep you on track?
- Almost everyone has neighbors that live nearby. What qualities make a great neighbor?
- Is it your preference to live in a small town or a big city?
- Where should governments spend more funds: on the improvement of public transportation or on the improvement of highways and roads?
- Should students in university be required to attend all of the classes on their schedule, or should it remain an option?
- An announcement has been made that a new business or factory is going to be built in your town. Are you for or against this expansion plan?
- Is it a good idea for teenagers to have part-time jobs while they are still in high school?
- There are times when the truth may not be the best thing you can say. Do you agree or disagree?
- Each of us will work with a variety of different people throughout our careers. What are the most important characteristics that the ideal co-worker have?
- There are times when all of us must do something that we do not enjoy to please people that we care about. Should we do these activities without letting them know how we feel, or should it be okay just to say no sometimes?